The collegiate church of St Jacques, consecrated in 1171, was built to welcome pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela. The beautifully carved facade of the original Church still remains.
In 1562, the nave, choir loft and bell tower were completely destroyed during the religious wars. The Church in its current form was completed in 1710.
Inspired by the cathedrals of Angouleme and Poitiers, the church is built of limestone. The triple Saintonge style archways show a combination of the oriental and western influences which are the signature of Romanesque Art.